St. Elizabeth Preschool, Baldwin, will hold the preschool preview “Planting the Seeds of Learning” from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Jan. 30, in the Preschool Classroom. RSVP to 412-881-2958 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tender Shepherd Preschool at The Bible Chapel, McMurray, will begin accepting registration for the 2019-2020 school year on Feb. 1. Classes are offered for children ages 3-5. For more information, visit www.biblechapel.org/about/tender-shepherd-preschool or call 724-941-8990.
John McMillan Preschool, Bethel Park, will begin registration for the 2019-2020 school year on Feb. 4. Classes for 3, 4 and 5 year olds are available in a Christian atmosphere. For more information, contact Lori Feldmann at 412-833-4704 or email@example.com, or visit johnmcmillanpc.org.
Upper St. Clair Coterie will hold a luncheon at noon on Feb. 14, at The Doubletree Hotel, 340 Racetrack Road, Washington. The theme is “Island Getaway.” Cash bar opens at 11:30 a.m. Dan Meunier will entertain on the steel drums. Entrée choices: Parmesan Crusted Chicken — $24 for members, $28 for guests; Parmesan Crusted Sea Bass — $25 for members, $29 for guests. Make checks payable to USC Coterie, indicate entrée choice, and mail by Feb. 1 to: Joan Badstibner, 1190 Galaxy Drive, Upper St. Clair, PA 15241.
Friends of the Montour Trail
The Friends of the Montour Trail in Bethel Park will hold its monthly meeting at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 5, in the Caucus Room behind council chambers in the Bethel Park Municipal Building. For more information, call Peter at 724-518-9251.
Peters Township High School National Honor Society’s 13th Annual Volleyball Tournament to benefit the Make-A-Wish Scholarship Fund will take place from 6:15 to 8:30 p.m. Jan. 31 in the high school gym. Concessions and baked goods will be available. Admission is $5. Advanced tickets are available beginning Jan. 29. Tickets will also be sold at the door.
Bethel Park Lions Club Cash and Prize Bash will be held from 6 to 10 p.m. March 9, at the Bethel Park Community Center, 5151 Park Avenue. Tickets are $50 and include hors d’oeuvres, dinner and drinks. Annual prizes to be awarded according to the drawings held at the party. Additional $25 prizes are awarded each week based on the Pennsylvania lottery number drawn each Friday evening. There will also be a Chinese auction, 50/50 raffle, door prize and pull tab tickets. To reserve a ticket, call Sandi Demas at 412-854-2740. All proceeds will be donated to Lions Charities. Bring unwanted eyeglasses to be donated to the needy.
Pittsburgh Opera presents “afterwards: Mozart’s Idomeneo Reimagined” Jan. 29 and Feb. 1 and 3 at the Pittsburgh CAPA Theater in downtown Pittsburgh. For tickets and more information, visit pittsburghopera.org.
The National Aviary offers the following Winter Raptor Adventures with ornithologist Robert Mulvihill, for bird enthusiasts of all ages:
• Owl Prowl, 7 p.m. Jan. 31 at the Audubon Greenway Conservation Area in Sewickley. Cost is $10 per person.
• National Aviary Bus Tour: Winter Raptor Survey, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 2 and 7. See up to 10 different species of raptors and record sightings to contribute to the Hawk Migration Association’s annual winter raptor survey. Visit Goddard State Park to see a bald eagle nest. Cost of $85 for Aviary members and $95 for non-members includes lunch.
Both events are open to ages 7 and up. Bring a flashlight, dress for the weather, and wear sturdy walking shoes. Space is limited. Preregistration is required by contacting Audrey Beichner at 412-258-9463 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spencer Family YMCA, Bethel Park, will hold an open house from 5 to 8 p.m. Jan. 31. Tour the facility, work out, take a class or use the pools. This is also the last day for the No Join Fee special. For more information, call 412-347-6565 or visit ymcapgh.org.
Retrouvaille: A Lifeline for Married Couples offers weekend retreats and post sessions that help couples focus on rebuilding marriage through better communication and understanding. The next weekend retreat begins Feb. 1. For details, call 412-277-3434 or email email@example.com.
The Pittsburgh Camerata presents the choral concert “Music of the Spheres” at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 2, at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair. Tickets are $20 in advance online or $25 at the door. Full time students are $5. For tickets, call 412-421-5884 or visit www.pittsburghcamerata.org.
Bethel Park Elks Lodge #2213 located at 2789 South Park Road will hold a Sweethearts Valentine Dance on Feb. 9. Doors open at 5 p.m. with hors d’oeuvres at 5:15 and entrée (petite filet and stuffed shrimp) and dessert following at 6. Dance to music by Nite Star from 8 to 11. There will be a 50/50 raffle and a special gift for ladies. Seating is limited to 60 and all tickets will be sold in advance for $30 per person. No tickets will be sold at the door. For reservations, call 412-831-0616 after 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, before Feb. 2.
South Hills Coin Club’s 59th Anniversary Coin Show will be held Feb. 2 and 3, at Crowne Plaza Pittsburgh South, Bethel Park. Hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. There will be free admission and hourly door prizes.
The Holocaust Center of Pittsburgh will host a talk by Georgia Hunter, author of the New York Times bestselling novel “We Were the Lucky Ones,” at 7 p.m. Feb. 5, at Carnegie Library Lecture Hall. Tickets are $18 in advance and $20 at the door. There is no charge for Holocaust survivors and students with a valid ID. Register at https://hcofpgh.org/georgia-hunter.
Help with Your Tech, 10 a.m. to noon on Saturdays, Feb. 2 and 23
For more, visit www.carnegiecarnegie.org. Register at 412-276-3456.
• SAT, PSAT, ACT: Prepare, Achieve, Succeed, presented by Huntington Learning Center, 7 p.m. Jan. 31. Register.
• “Groundhog Day” Movie Screening, noon on Feb. 1
• Adult Winter Reading Club begins Feb. 4.
For more, visit www.bethelparklibrary.org. Register at 412-835-2207.
• Books ‘n Brews Book Discussion, 7 p.m. Jan. 29, at Spoonwood Brewing, 5981 Baptist Road. Free appetizers. Discuss “The Cabin at the End of the World” by Paul Tremblay.
• Coffee & Friends … An Informal Book Discussion, 10 to 11 a.m. Feb. 6, at Coffee, etc., 3754 Willow Avenue. Readers’ choice – bring a romance book to share.
• Beginner Belly Dancing Classes, 7 to 8 p.m. Feb. 6 for all ages. Register through PayPal with Amethyst by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or at the library.
For more, visit castleshannonlibrary.org.
Community Conversations, 6 to 8 p.m. Jan. 29. Learn how communities can fight blight. Light refreshments.
Register at 724-745-1308. www.franksarrislibrary.org.
• Celebrate Chinese New Year, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 4
• Andy Warhol: From No Where to New York, 7 p.m. Feb. 4
• Lebo History Night: JFK and Modern Presidential Rhetoric, 7 p.m. Feb. 5
For more, visit www.mtlebanonlibrary.org.
• Take Your Child to the Library event, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Feb. 2, with a special performance by Josh and Gab at noon. Register.
• Teen Book Lunch Club, noon to 1 p.m. Feb. 2. Discuss: “Dear Evan Hansen: The Novel” by Val Emmich.
• Teen Valentine’s Day Cupcake Cake Boss, 2 p.m. Feb. 2
For more, visit www.ptlibrary.org.
Write Your Own Memoir/Children’s Book (Session 2), 2 to 3:30 p.m. Jan. 31, for adults. Each writer should have a rough draft of their work for this session. Email email@example.com to register.
For more, visit www.scottlibrary.org. Register online or call 412-429-5380.
• Estate Planning, 7 p.m. Jan. 29. Registration appreciated.
• Kids in Motion is canceled for Jan. 30.
• Puppy Tales, 1:30 p.m. Feb. 2, at South Fayette Senior Center, for ages 6 and up. Read to a trained therapy dog and make a dog-related craft. Register.
For more, visit southfayettelibrary.org. Register online or call 412-257-8660.
Upper St. Clair
• The Spring Real Estate Season, 10 a.m. Feb. 2. Register.
• Kim Adley presents: The Queen of Hearts, 11 a.m. Feb. 2, for families with children age 2 and older. Make a Valentine’s Day craft. Register.
• History Night, 7 p.m. Feb. 4. Topic is “JFK: His Life.” Register.
For more, visit www.twpusc.org. Register online or call 412-835-5540.