The monthly meeting and annual Christmas party of the South Hills Coin Club will be held at 8 p.m. Dec. 11, at Bethel Presbyterian Church, 2999 Bethel Church Road, Bethel Park. A 50/50 will be held and children’s prizes will be awarded. Applications are now being accepted for membership. For more information, call 724-984-6611.
Celeste VanKirk, award-winning photojournalist with the Observer-Reporter newspaper, will be the guest speaker at the Western Pennsylvania Lensshooters Camera Club’s meeting at 7:15 p.m. Dec. 12, at the Peters Township Public Library. For more information, call Jim McNutt at 724-747-1300.
Association of University People (AUP) is looking for single, four-year college graduates over 50 to join the group for monthly dinners and social gatherings. Upcoming events include: Meet in the Asado Urban Grill at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Green Tree for happy hour from 5 to 7 p.m. Dec. 13. RSVP to Liv at 412-580-3957. Meet for Scrabble at 2 p.m. Dec. 14 and 28, at the The Galleria of Mt. Lebanon (near Anthropologie). RSVP to Rina at 412-341-8009. For more information, visit www.aupsinglespittsburgh.org.
Cookies for a Cause
Peters Township Meals on Wheels will hold Cookies for a Cause from 9 a.m. to noon on Dec. 15, at Donaldson’s Crossroads, Suite 201. Many varieties of cookies will be available, including specialty, ethnic, traditional, seasonal and pastries. All cookies are homemade. Donations will also be accepted. For more information, call 724-969-1000.
Toys for Tots
Peters Township is once again participating with the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve in collecting Toys for Tots this holiday season. Collection boxes are located at the Community Recreation Center and at the library. New, unwrapped gifts for children from infancy to 14 years may be placed in the collection boxes anytime through Dec. 14. For more information, call the Recreation Center at 724-942-5000.
Christmas Bake Sale
St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church, 601 Boone Ave., Canonsburg, will hold its Christmas bake sale from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 15.
A fundraiser to benefit the Scott Beynon Memorial Scholarship Fund will be held at 3 p.m. Dec. 16, at Library Volunteer Fire Hall. Watch the Pittsburgh Steelers play the New England Patriots. Tickets are $50 for adults and $20 for children age 10 and under and include a tailgate dinner by Cyd West Comfort Catering, beer and mixers. BYOB. Tickets are available at Evey Hardware, Beynon’s Service Center or by calling Ann Henney at 412-575-1932. Tickets will be sold for basket and TV raffles at the event. Funds raised will be used to start a scholarship in memory of Scott Beynon for a Bethel Park student in the automotive technology program.
McMurray Lions Club is selling Koeze Nut products, including cashews, mixed nuts, chocolates, caramel crunch and more. Purchase them as holiday gifts for family, friends and business associates. For a complete list of products and pricing, visit the club’s website at www.e-clubhouse.org/sites/mcmurray/. Proceeds go directly to help local Lions charities.
In celebration of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Saint Winifred Book Club will host a free reading and festive reception at 7 p.m. Dec. 12, in Benedict Hall. Fr. Richard Infante will read his short story, “Fields of Grace,” which was published in his book “Last Priest Standing (LPS).” Admission is free, and refreshments will be available. Both the book and audio version of LPS will be available for purchase. For more information, call Judy Price at 412-881-3441 or the church office at 412-344-5010.
Toys for Tots
Musuneggi Financial Group’s 12th Annual Toys for Tots holiday donation party will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Dec. 12, at the company’s offices located at 1910 Cochran Road, Manor Oak Two, Suite 520, Green Tree. Bring a new, unwrapped toy donation for the United States Marine Corps’ Toys for Tots program. The South Fayette High School Orchestra will perform at 4. Those unable to attend may drop off a toy during regular office hours, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fridays until Dec. 12. For more information, call 412-341-2888 ext. 312 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Car seat safety
Car seat safety checks by certified car seat technicians will be offered from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13, at Peters Township Fire Department, 245 East McMurray Road, McMurray. There is no charge for this service. To schedule an appointment, call 724-941-4176.
The South Hills Children’s Choir will perform “Away with Sorrows” at 7 p.m. Dec. 14, at Unity Presbyterian Church located on Greentree Road. The works of Franz Schubert, Johannes Brahms, Zoltán Kodály, Bob Chilcott and more will be performed. Guest violinist is Jennifer Madge of the Pittsburgh Opera, Pittsburgh Ballet and Pittsburgh Music Academy. Tickets are $5 at the door, with children 10 and under admitted free.
Carnegie Performing Arts Center’s will present “The Nutcracker” featuring an old-fashioned holiday theme Dec. 14-16. Performances will be at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and 2 p.m. on Sundays, at the Andrew Carnegie Music Hall, 300 Beechwood Ave., Carnegie. Tickets are available at the door and are $18 for adults and $15 for seniors and children. For more information, call the Carnegie Performing Arts Center at 412-279-8887 or visit www.carnegieperformingartscenter.com.
Community of Christ Church located at 3472 South Park Road in Bethel Park will hold a free drive-thru, luminaria-lit live nativity from 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 15. Volunteers are needed at 10 a.m. Dec. 15 to finalize scenery preparations, and beginning at 5 p.m. volunteers of all ages, from toddlers to seniors, are needed to be in costume in the scenes. For more information, contact Janet at 412-805-7194 or email@example.com.
off the WALL Productions, the professional resident acting company at Carnegie Stage, announces its 2018-19 season, featuring one world premiere, one U.S. premiere, and one Pittsburgh premiere in the acting company’s three-play program. “Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol” runs through Dec. 15. For tickets, visit www.insideoffthewall.com or call 724-873-3576 ext. 1.
PICT Classic Theatre will present the first production of its 2018-2019 season, “The Old Curiosity Shop,” at WQED’s Fred Rogers Studio in Oakland. Performances run through Dec. 15. For more information, visit www.picttheatre.org or call 412-561-6000.
The Harmony Singers of Pittsburgh will present the holiday concert “Holiday Memories” at 2 p.m. Dec. 16 and at 7 p.m. Dec. 18, at Brightwood Christian Church, 5044 West Library Avenue, Bethel Park. Refreshments will follow the concert. A basket raffle and a holiday cookie sale will also be included. The concerts are free, but a free-will offering to benefit the Harmony Singers will be accepted. For more information, visit www.harmonysingers.org.
Natural health solutions
A Holiday Make-and-Take will be held from 10:30 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Dec. 15, at The Physical Therapy Center, 1699 Washington Road (ground floor), Bethel Park. Learn the natural health solutions doTERRA has to offer while making holiday bath salts. Fee of $5 includes supplies. Holiday items and stocking stuffers will be available for purchase.
• An Introduction to Essential Oils, 7 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13 and Tuesday, Dec. 18, at The Physical Therapy Center. Learn the natural health solutions doTERRA Essential Oils have to offer. Those attending will receive information, samples and an essential oil holiday room spray.
To register for either event, contact Deb Bosco at 724-713-6217 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Children’s Choice Awards, for grades 3-6. Help choose this year’s best middle-grade read. You must read at least two of the eight to compare and vote. Those who read five of the eight will be entered to win a $100 Amazon gift card. Register online beginning Dec. 12, but stop by the library to get a list and copy of your first book.
• Register beginning Dec. 12 for Wild about Books Winter Reading Club. Pick up a reading log at the library and read as much as possible during the month of January. For every hour read, participants will receive one raffle ticket for the prize drawing. All participants are also invited to a Wonders of Wildlife program set for 2 p.m. Jan. 26, presented by the Pittsburgh Zoo for all ages, birth to high school.
• Holiday Ornament Making, 1 to 3 p.m. Dec. 15, for grades K-4. Register.
For more, visit www.bethelparklibrary.org. Register at 412-835-2207.
• Storytime Visit with Auntie Claus, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 10. Little ones and families will enjoy a story, craft and refreshments. Register.
• Friends of the Library Cookbook Club: Potluck Edition, 6 p.m. Dec. 11. Sign up with a recipe at the circulation desk then bring your dish the day of the event.
• Jammin’ with My Planner, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 13. Basic supplies provided or bring your own. Register online.
For more, visit bridgevillelibrary.org.
• Holiday Party, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 11. Stories, games, crafts and more.
• Annual Poinsettia Sale, sponsored by the Dormont-Mt. Lebanon-Castle Shannon Rotary, features red, pink, white and jingle bell 6-1/2 inch foil wrapped pots at a cost of $10 per plant, available at the library.
For more, visit castleshannonlibrary.org.
• Fiction Book Club, noon on Dec. 12. Discuss “Big Stone Gap” by Adriana Trigiani and enjoy a holiday gathering. New members welcome.
• Super Science, 5:30 to 6:15 p.m. Dec. 13, for kids ages 3-7 and 8-13. Registration required at the children’s circulation desk or by phone (ext. 4).
Register at 724-745-1308. www.franksarrislibrary.org.
• It’s A Hockey Night in Pittsburgh! 1893 to Today, 7 p.m. Dec. 10, with guest speaker Larry Woods.
• Basic Fitness and Nutrition Series, 10:30 a.m. Dec. 14, great for seniors and intellectually disabled adults and their caregivers.
• Board Game Afternoon, 1 p.m. Dec. 15, for teens and adults. Refreshments.
• Make a Gingerbread House, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 17, for children ages 3 and older and their families. Bring a can of icing and candy to decorate. Register.
For more, visit www.mtlebanonlibrary.org.
• Family Ornament and Card Night, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Dec. 10, for all ages with an adult
• Your Digital Newsstand, 10 to 11 a.m. Dec. 11
• The Evening Book Club for Adults, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Dec. 12. Discuss “The Keeper of Lost Things: A Novel” by Ruth Hogan.
• A Night with WQED, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Dec. 13, for all ages featuring Let’s Go Luna
• Super Smash Bros Wii U Tournament, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Dec. 14, for grades 6 and up
• Teen Books to Big Screen, 1 p.m. Dec. 15. Featured film: “Every Day.”
For more, visit www.ptlibrary.org.
• Adult Color Time, 2 to 3 p.m. Dec. 7 and 21. Supplies provided.
• Conversation Salon for Adults, 1 to 3 p.m. Dec. 10.
• Make It Mondays – Winter/Holiday Magnets, 3 to 5 p.m. Dec. 17, for children of all ages. Come anytime during the program. Register.
• Cooking Club: Cookie Party, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Dec. 17, for adults. Swap recipes, talk foods, and taste and make a dish together. Bring a batch of cookies to share, and a container to take some home. All skill levels welcome. Register.
For more, visit www.scottlibrary.org. Register online or call 412-429-5380.
• Play with Botley Robots, Dec. 11 (multiple sessions), for ages 4. Caregiver must stay in room if child is under age 6. Register for only one session. Space is limited; registration required.
• Christmas Storytime with the Grinch, 6:15 to 6:45 p.m. Dec. 13. Popcorn, cookies and water available. Register online.
For more, visit southfayettelibrary.org. Register online or call 412-257-8660.